Vergara stars on the ABC series Modern Family as Gloria Delgado-Pritchett, for which she was nominated for four Golden Globe Awards, four Primetime Emmy Awards, and seven Screen Actors Guild Awards.
Vergara was born in Barranquilla, Colombia. Her mother, Margarita Vergara Dávila de Vergara, is a housewife, and her father, Julio Enrique Vergara Robayo, produced cattle for the meat industry.
After a marriage at 18 and divorce two years later, Vergara studied pre-dentistry at a university in Colombia for three years. Then, many opportunities arose for her to work in modeling and in show business, and Vergara decided to pursue them, leaving her undergraduate studies two semesters shy of her undergraduate degree. Soon she decided to move to Miami in the US, to take advantage of opportunities and to move away.
Soon she was presented with offers in modeling and television work, and she considered accepting them despite being raised both conservatively and religiously.
She stars on the ABC sitcom Modern Family as Gloria Delgado-Pritchett, for which she was nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- Vergara was married at the age of 18 to her childhood sweetheart, Joe Gonzalez. She gave birth to their son Manolo in September 1992. They split in 1993.
- In 1998, Vergara's older brother, Rafael, was murdered in Bogota.
- On July 10, 2012, it was reported that Vergara and her businessman boyfriend Nick Loeb were engaged.
- Vergara is 1.70 m (5 ft 7 in) tall and has naturally blond hair, although for movies and television, she is sometimes asked to dye it brown to make her look more stereotypically Latina
- Vergara was discovered by a photographer while walking on a Colombian beach.
- "Toti" was the nickname given to Vergara by her five brothers and sisters and many cousins